Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Next steps with pv_ops for Xen

> >> It gets better, though. The same hook is used in the version of blktap
> >> in linux-2.6.18-xen (not, as far as I can see, in the sparse tree for
> >> xen-3.1-testing):
> >
> > Oh, I'm thinking more in the direction of killing blktap altogether in
> > favor of a pure userspace implementation on top of gntdev.
>
> I think this would represent good progress, though I wonder if there
> would be a performance penalty due to performing the mapping and
> unmapping in user-space (multiple syscalls per mapping versus a single
> hypercall).

Maybe a change to the gntdev userspace API to allow batching of mapping
requests?

I'm not aware of a batched mmap interface, which would seem to be the ideal
solution; but it should be possible to batch this stuff somehow.  Although it
seems like some kind of really weird ioctl might be needed :-S to do it
*without* such a batched interface...

blktap in userspace, if any performance problems can be addressed, would seem
to be a far nicer way of doing things.  And it's less code to merge
upstream ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.