Re: [Xen-devel] netfront/back documentation on wiki

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 19:33 -0800, Andy Grover wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've taken a stab at documenting the current interface between netfront
> and netback drivers, here:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetFrontBackInterface
>
> Currently, the only way for non-Linux implementers to adhere to this
> interface is to study the Linux netfront driver, which has a great deal
> of optimizations and is not meant to be documentation.
>
> I'd love it if the experts in this area could help correct and fill-in
> the info there now, and hopefully we can end up with some useful docs.

Far from being an expert, a general question regarding present and
future directions on documentation: The interface manual presently
contains at least enough information to get people started. Personally,
I would have gotten nowhere without that documentation, it's still a
fairly good starting point.

So my question is: what will be the primary source of information for
the future? I'm all for Wikis, but one might then as well consider
moving the relevant chapters from the interface manual to wiki pages and
proceed from that, rather than from scratch.

To make me look helpful: I've got some pretty SVG figures, e.g. of the
ring layout and high-level things like xenbus/netif/blkif between
dom0/domU etc. on disk, which I could provide. Want some?

regards,
daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl fÃr Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation