[Xen-devel] Updates to shared APIs

I meant to make this request at the summit but never got around to it:

One of the big problems we have is following the rapid development of
upstream xen-unstable whilst working on our current base. It's simply
impossible to keep abreast of every change in upstream, especially when
the vast majority don't impact the Solaris case at all. We review
changes when we jump to a new base (as we're doing now for 3.1.2), but
this is not ideal for a host of obvious reasons.

Would it be feasible to start some kind of change log for things
affecting dom0 and domU implementations? That is, such a patch would
need to list itself on a wiki page (or something else) before it goes
into the main tree as a point of policy.

Wherever possible I'd be glad to help out (documenting the
change on that page, for example).

The kinds of changes that this would apply to include:

- any new hypercalls
- all changes to domctl/sysctl but *especially* incompatible ones
- any behaviour changing domain builder stuff (new ELF feature flags etc.)
- all changes to inter-domain protocols
- new file formats (core dump, save/restore, etc.)
- any new code that thinks there's text inside /proc ;)
- maybe significant reworks such as Dan Berrange's qemu/text console stuff

With documentation, this would also start to form the basis of a
better-documented hypervisor API, at least for 'new' bits.

Comments?

thanks,
john