Re: [Xen-devel] Overview of exposing graphical desktop from DomU...framebuffers, etc.

"David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> (Thanks guys,that gives me a good general understanding of graphics
> remoting in Xen)\
>
>> Unlike other split drivers, the backend is in user space.  It used to
>> be a separate program (either xen-vncfb or xen-sdlfb) under the
>> control of xend.  It's been merged in qemu-dm recently, running under
>> the control of xend as for FV domains.
>
> When using SDL, does the Guest OS have direct access to the graphics
> card?  I'm guessing not, but I just want to make sure my assumption is
> correct.  If not, what are the relative advatages/disadvantages
> between VNC and SDL for virtualizing graphics in Xen?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

You're guessing correctly.  Regardless of the type of backend, the
frontend gets nothing but a virtual framebuffer.

Most people use the VNC backend.  The SDL backend isn't quite what
most people need.  For instance, it duly terminates when the user
closes the window.  Not nice.