[Xen-devel] GSI affinity and redirection

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:48:13 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:48:56 -0700

folks...i've been trying to set affinity of PCI NIC GSI (irq=16) for core 1 (dual-core machine) and then upon receiving this interrupt on core 1, redirect it to core 0 (through IPI) to handle it. i'm able to set the affinity by invoking "set_affinity" operation on irq 16 but when I try to redirect it to core 0 through IPI, upon receiving this interrupt, the interrupt is somehow not handled and i'm not able to ping to this machine. i think i'm not doing something that needs to be done after sending IPI to core 0 to handle this interrupt, which is done from core 1 upon receiving this interrupt on it. as far as my understanding goes, when IPI is sent, the interrupt is delivered to a processor through local PIC, right? so does that mean that the processor that originally received the interrupt by IOAPIC should send EOI to IOAPIC and the processor that received the redirected interrupt by local PIC should send EOI to the local PIC and not IOAPIC. if that is the case, then in what order or sequence he two EOIs are sent? considering xen waits for virtual EOIs from guests before it can send actual EOI to the IOAPIC, which core should wait for EOIs from the guests in my case? thanks.