(was Re: [Xen-devel] nat does not work with hvm)

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Christoph Rauch" <christoph.rauch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:06:29 +0200
  • Cc: Erdem Bayer <ebayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:07:21 -0700

Hello there,

Sorry for resurrecting such an old discussion, but I just stumbled
upon the same problem.

2007/4/14, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 14/4/07 07:56, "Erdem Bayer" <ebayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Also should there also be a qemu-ifdown script to undo the changes?
> Not needed. Everything should tear down automatically when the qemu process
> dies.
That is only partially correct. The interface gets removed, yet all
iptables rules associated with it remain. Over time (reboots) many
bogus rules accumulate, which never get removed.

I checked the source for qemu-dm and found no reference to qemu-ifdown.

Anyway, the problem I have myself is that qemu-ifup does not know to
what VM the newly created tun device belongs. This way I cannot
associate special forwarding rules for certain VMs which survive
reboots as the tun device has not the same ID as the VM.

I created a workaround in qemu-ifup which first removes any firewall
rules associated with the tap device and then creates the new rules.

This is esthetically unpleasing. :-)

Are there plans to improve this situation, or is it already solved in
the HEAD branch?

--
Christoph