[Xen-devel] DL385 G2 - PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Zachary Richmond <zak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:05:40 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 03:03:10 -0700

Mark suggested that I post this to the xen-devel list (I had orginally posted to xen-users):

Original post:

> I am attempting to run Xen 3.1.1 on a HP DL385 G2 box (opteron based
> system), using Gentoo.  The machine will boot, and I can login and edit
> files etc, but as soon as I do anything more intensive such as copying
> files off a cdrom (making me think it is a cciss driver problem) or running
> make, I get the following :
>
>    kernel panic not syncing: PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed
>
> Searching on this doesn't come up with much except the source code where
> this error message is written out.  The comment there indicates there is an
> IOMMU problem, but I am not sure where to go from there. I am pretty sure
> it is not a hardware issue since, when booting with a non-xen kernel and
> the same file system, no problem.  Anyone have any ideas or run into this
> problem before?
>
> As a side note, I have two of these boxes which are identical, and I have
> successfully installed XenExpress on one of them, in the hopes of finding
> something there.

To answer Mark's question:

> What kernel are you using?

from gentoo: xen-sources-2.6.20-r6

Regarding the full error message, all I am getting is:

        kernel panic not syncing: PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

since the machine is rebooting after that. There maybe somewhere else to get more detail, but beyond dmesg or messages I am not sure where else to look.

        Zak