RE: [Xen-devel] DL385 G2 - PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

  • To: "Zachary Richmond" <admin.ihsdoor@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:13:47 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:17:25 -0700

> To answer Mark's question:
>
>  > What kernel are you using?
>
> from gentoo: xen-sources-2.6.20-r6
>
> Regarding the full error message, all I am getting is:
>
>      kernel panic not syncing: PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed
>
> since the machine is rebooting after that.  There maybe
> somewhere else to get more detail, but beyond dmesg or
> messages I am not sure where else to look.

For some reason, your kernel is running with pci-gart.c
enabled, and dom0 is trying to allocate DMA through the
AGP GART in your AMD64 processor's Northbridge.  I
didn't think Xen supported pci-gart, but maybe I missed
a changeset.

At any rate, passing iommu=soft should disable the pci-gart
and allow you to use bounce buffering.  Hopefully, that
should clear up your problem.

-Mark Langsdorf
Operating System Research Center
AMD