Re: [Xen-devel] Communicating between Dom0 and DomU without a network

> We have an application monitoring network activity on
> the guest, and we want to send summaries about that
> activity to Dom0 without adding to that activity.  We
> could filter the traffic so that we exclude monitor
> generated activity, but we'd rather look at everything.
>
> We don't need much of a protocol.  All the data is
> going in one direction.

This is going to sound maybe a bit silly, but why not just add a second
virtual network interface for sending summary information?  Or would that
still perturb your measurements?

Otherwise, maybe some kind of arrangement with virtual disks could solve your
problem?

Things like "XenSocket" have been proposed for shared memory network-style
communication between domains but nothing's been merged.  You may be able to
find patches that'd help you on the way (or you could perhaps try to roll
your own using shared memory and grant tables).

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks,
> -Hajime Inoue
>
> James Harper wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a way to communicate, without a network,
> >> between Dom0 and DomU, at speeds approaching typical
> >> bandwidth.
> >
> > Can you detail some of the requirements? Whatever you use will require a
> > protocol of some sort, and the network stack already implements almost
> > anything you would want. Possibly the next best thing would be to run
> > another protocol (eg not tcp/ip) over the virtual ethernet.
> >
> > If you can state why using a network is out of the question, you'll
> > avoid a whole load of people asking you :)

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!