Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 <> DomU clock sync

On 03/09/07, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So long as ntpdate calls settimeofday(), this should be sufficient to update
> Xen's notion of time too. It seems that isn't happening for some reason.
>
> Do all guests (including dom0) have independent_wallclock equal to 0?
>
> What kernel are you using in dom0 (e.g., vendor kernel?).
>
> Ntpd in dom0 would be an interesting thing to try. That should cause dom0 to
> periodically (every few minutes) push its time down to Xen to be picked up
> by all domUs. But really ntpdate should be doing the right thing...
>
> In our kernels it should be *impossible* for dom0 and domU time to diverge
> when independent_wallclock is set to zero everywhere...
>
>  -- Keir

It occurs with ntpd in dom0 as well:

tomkins@host1 ~ $ date
Mon Sep  3 14:42:04 UTC 2007
testdomu:~# date
Mon Sep  3 14:43:11 UTC 2007

dom0 runs ntpd, the only thing which causes the domUs to correct
themselves is hwclock in dom0.  It's a fairly old machine though and
would need to be updated for testing:

Linux host1 2.6.16.29-xen-host1-1 #1 Sat Nov 25 19:57:50 Local time
zone must be set--see zic manu x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

However I've been moving all Xen servers away from Gentoo and
switching them to CentOS which doesn't seem to have the same problem.
I remember someone else having similar problems:

<http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-11/msg00861.html>

I've still got a couple of servers which haven't been updated to
CentOS yet.  I could upgrade them to a more recent Xen release as well
as a more recent kernel to test it.

--
Alex Tomkins <tomkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>