Re: [Xen-devel] Xen domU support merged into upstream Linux

Hi Jeremy,

First, congratulations for merging into 2.6.23.

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 17:15 -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> There is the open question of whether we want to support pure pv 64-bit,
> or if we should just go straight to a hybrid pv-hvm solution.  That is,
> run the guest in an hvm container as ring0, use hvm to intercept a lot
> of the boring operations, but keep using pv pagetables, etc.  How many
> people are using pre-HVM 64-bit guests?

I tend to believe there are more pre-HVM 64-bit guests than 32-bit
guests. 64-bit CPUs are mainstream for a few years and 32-bit-only
server systems are getting old. Almost everyone I know with 64-bit CPUs
prefers to run 64-bit Linux over 32-bit.

So, I think it is worth to support pre-HVM 64-bit guests.

Cheers,

Jan