Re: [Xen-devel] [Q]Which part of Xen is in slated for 2.6.23 kernel release?

  • To: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:49:39 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:59:39 -0700

At 12:21 21/07/2007, pradeep singh rautela wrote:
Hi Keir,
On 7/21/07, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 21/7/07 10:50, "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is Xen really a part of official 2.6.23 kernel now?

Yes, assuming the patches are not dropped again from Linus's tree before
2.6.23 is released. But that is unlikely. They've had lots of testing and
review.

great news!!!

> If yes i would like to ask
>  - what is accepted by Linus in the mainline kernel?
>  - Is it just the hypervisor code?
>  - What about dom0?

The scope of the patches is domU guest support. Vanilla linux 2.6.23 will
not support running as dom0 (Jeremy is working on this for a future Linux
release). Nor does it contain the hypervisor code itself -- you have to
obtain the Xen hypervisor separately from the kernel sources.

Great!!!
So this means 2.6.23 vanilla kernel can be compiled as a domU natively, right?

I think for now, only modules can be shared, kernel itself needs to be compiled for DomU or Native use, but ultimately, the idea is to have one kernel that does both DomU and Native in the same kernel.

Here's what Jeremy wrote on the subject:
----Jeremy----
Hm, I should prepare a documentation patch.

If you build the kernel with CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y, CONFIG_XEN=y and enable
the Xen console, block and net devices (they will default =y), then you
should be able to use the resulting kernel with an existing Xen
installation (it will also boot native).  Unfortunately you can't use
the same actual kernel image file in both cases, but you can use the
same modules.

To boot native: boot the bzImage file as usual.

To boot under Xen, use the vmlinux file as your kernel image (you can
strip and gzip it if you wish).

The console is hvc0, so you may need to pass console=hvc0 in your Xen
config.

Similarly, the blockfront device is /dev/xvd[abc...][123...]; you'll
probably need to pass the appropriate root= kernel command line option.
It does not support stealing the hdX or sdX names, so that part of the
Xen config will be ignored.

Netfront appears as ethX as usual.

The kernel does not support balloon or suspend/migrate/resume yet, so
that won't work.  You should be able to cleanly shutdown/reboot the
domain via xm.

---End Jeremy---

--
Mats

Thanks for the info Keir.

Regards

---
pradeep singh rautela

"Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" - not me :)