Re: [Xen-devel] Hvm Guest Image

  • To: "Xen Xen" <xendoubt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:27:54 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:13:26 -0700

At 08:56 17/07/2007, Xen Xen wrote:
the xen source directory that i downloaded has a ref-linux-2.6.18 directory.
Is that the unmodified linux that i can use to install a hvm guest??

I don't know if the ref-linux-2.6.18 is suitable to build - it's there as a "base" for the modifications for para-virtual Linux that you need at least for Dom0.

Well, the general way to use HVM is to install from a CDROM/DVD (or ISO-file image instead of a CD/DVD) with a complete distro of Linux (RedHat, SuSE, Debian, etc).

Where do you get the rest of your Linux distro from? Doesn't that come with a kernel that you can use? That would be my suggestion.

--
Mats

On 7/17/07, Mats Petersson <<mailto:mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 06:08 17/07/2007, you wrote:

>I downloaded the xen source from the xen site did a make world and
>make install to get the 2.6.16.33-xen kernel.
>I made a initrd for the same and booted into it.
>I want to now set up a hvm guest with the same image( 2.6.16.33-xen)
>but grub gives me a unsupported executable format error 13?
>Cant i use the same image for a hvm guest ?

For HVM guests, you need an unmodified OS, so you can't use the same
kernel as with a PV guest. [Unless you load Xen in the guest that is
- but for most people that adds extra overhead for no extra gain, so
that's probably not such a good suggestion]

---
Mats