Re: [Xen-devel] Hacking XenEnterprise / Please Help

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Jim Burnes wrote:
We need the following features in Xen and we're trying to figure out the best way to acquire them.

1. Full virtualization of Windows XP

OK.

2. Shared Windows boot image with copy-on-write backing storage after boot.

Interesting. You don't expect a ton of changes to the Windows image, I'm guessing?

3. Ability to shut down a Windows VM and examine the copy-on-write file store for data written to the drive.

OK.

4. High-performance hyper-virtualized Windows drivers

OK.

Our Problem

The most direct solutions to this problem seems to be:

1. XenEnterprise with it's hyper-virtualized Windows drivers and using QCOW files for copy-on-write file store.

Except my experimentation with 3.1.0 last week showed me that there's a bug that prevents blk:tap I/O (which qcow uses) from working correctly with fully virtualized domains. I did see the patch and would be willing to use it against the 3.1.0 source tree except that I don't know if I can even make that drastic of a modification to a XenEnterprise install.

Post on the forum - see if they will fix it for you.

The other XenEnterprise possibility is to bypass blk:tap and simply use LVM snapshots as copy-on-write images. This works on RHEL 5, but XenEnterprise didn't have a required kernel feature enabled to allow it. That means I would need to modify the XenEnterprise kernel to enable the feature or go back and hack the version of Xen to allow blk:tap.

Ditto. If you buy XE+support, they would very likely be willing to work with you on this.

In either case, it's a significant modification of a turnkey package.

2. RHEL 5/Centos 5 with the updated XenSource 3.1.0 RPMs.

I had this running pretty well. The device mapper in the XenSource 3.1.0 kernel for RHEL 5 allowed LVM snapshot copy-on-writes and I could probably use the blk:tap patch if I didn't mind recompiling the Xen kernel.

Unfortunately we can't use the hypervirtualized windows drivers unless we're running XenEnterprise.

There are also the SuSE drivers coming available soon. They would let you run the open source version of Xen with Paravirt drivers, as I understand it.