[Xen-devel] More info on 'Cannot destroy a domain created with Xen-API'

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 01:50:56PM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Xen-API to manage may virtual machines. But sometimes something
> goes wrong and I gen an undestroyable VM.

Now I know exactly when it happens. I had 'actions_after_shutdown'
for the virtual machines set to 'preserve'. When such domain where
halted withing guest system, it got power_state='Halted', but it still
had a domain_id set. When such domain is destroyed with Xen-API
VM.destroy() call, then some cleanup is missing and the domain stays in
Xend forever, taking some resources (like loop devices).

If I call VM.hard_shutdown() before VM.destroy() (no matter if guest OS
was running or halted), then the problem doesn't occur -- the VM is
destroyed completely. If I don't call hard_shutdown() then VM.destroy()
fails to fully do its job.

Greets,
        Jacek