RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] [0/4] PV driver for FC transport layer

  • To: "Jun Kamada" <kama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 01:07:04 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:05:42 -0700

> We developed a prototype of para-virtual FC(Fibre Channel) SCSI
driver.
> It's a extension of the "pv-scsi" driver, that Horikoshi-san posted on
> 16 May 2007 ([Xen-devel] [RFC] pv-scsi driver (scsiback/scsifront)),
> in order to support FC transport layer.

I'm struggling slightly to understand the usage scenario planned for
this stuff. Mapping a SCSI LUN through to a guest makes perfect sense
(e.g. for performing SCSI reservations, special SCSI commands like FUA,
controlling a tape robot etc), but mapping a whole HBA through to a
guest seems less useful -- usually it's the case you want to hide all
that nastiness from the guest, taking care of multipath etc in dom0
rather than exposing it to the guest.

Have you a particular scenario in mind?

Thanks,
Ian