Re: [Xen-devel] new repo layout?

Hi Ian,

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 17:14 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Hmm.
>
> xen-unstable will look at a URL derived from it's own parent to find the
> Linux tree this means that for the ppc and ia64 trees it will currently
> be looking on xenbits for /ext/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg for both archs, this
> tree doesn't even exist and I don't think you'll want to share a Linux
> tree.

   Agreed, synchronizing updates and pulls would be too much of a
headache.

> If we define $(XEN_LINUX_ARCH) as "" in the $(XEN_TARGET_ARCH)==x86*
> case and -$(XEN_TARGET_ARCH) in != x86 case. Mixing that into
> XEN_LINUX_HGREPO would yield /ext/linux-2.6.18-xen-ia64.hg etc. Does
> that seem OK to you?

  But that would only need to be the case if the parent of the xen tree
contained xenbits.xensource.com/ext in the path (or some other locally
defined path if the parent is a local clone).  If we're building
xen-unstable.hg on ia64, it needs to pull linux-2.6.18-xen.hg just as it
would on x86.  This quickly starts to sound like rather complicated
rules.

> Another option would be to move the ia64 and ppc trees into separate
> subdirectories of /ext/. I'm open to other alternatives.

   So far, this sounds like the best option.  This way it would work
just like the staging tree builds and would hopefully be less likely to
get broken.  We might also gain some flexibility in being able to create
new repos in the subdirectory.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.