Re: [Xen-devel] xm shutdown timeout

  • To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:11:46 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 May 2007 01:10:20 -0700

On 23/5/07 03:51, "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> xend has a timeout such that if an 'xm shutdown' request does not result
> in the domain shutting down within a certain time period, the domain is
> violently destroyed.
>
> This seems like a strange choice - if the domain isn't responding
> properly to such requests, then it must be in a buggy state, and should
> surely be preserved for administrator action (dumping core, destroying,
> whatever).
>
> Is there any other purpose to this timeout?

There are a set of config options to choose what to do on various guest
state transitions. I think these are probably what you're looking for. See
the final bit of tools/example/xmexample1.

Hmmm... Actually it may be that we unconditionally kill the domain if it
ignores shutdown. If that is the case, we should instead force it into
whatever the the target of the 'sm shutdown' command was, and then execute
the action specified in the config file. We'd like a patch if this is the
case. :-)

 -- Keir