RE: [Fwd: Re: [Xen-devel] Zaptel PCI IRQ problem]

  • To: "François Delawarde" <fdelawarde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:37:09 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:35:46 -0700

As far as I can see, there's no improvement in 3.1 over 3.0.4 as to how
interrupts are handled or how the scheduling works [I'm not really sure how
that could practically be improved wihtout loosing performance elsewhere - this
is a case of "you can make it right for some people some of the time, but not
all people all of the time"].

This can possibly be solved by restricting which other domains run on the same
CPU as Dom0. However, there will certainly be some load on Dom0 because of
qemu-dm being there, but unless you're running disk or network benchmarks on
your DomU, you should have reasonable performance in Dom0 without much effort.

If you share the Dom0 CPU with DomU's, then you have little chance to get it to
wrok.

All this is assuming I understand correctly that the real problem here is that
the latency between the interrupt and the actual code executing in user-mode is
the key to the problem. Making sure Dom0 runs on it's own CPU will make sure
that there's very little overhead compared to native.

--
Mats