[Xen-devel] Re: 0/4 Xen Scheduling Groups

On 11/05/07 22:11 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
On 11/5/07 20:41, "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After these first patches get accepted I plan on implementing a
feature where one domain can tell the scheduler it would like to run
*after* a different domain in the same group.

Xen already does this for dom0

Does it?

When an hvm domain does an emulated io, xen creates an event which is
delivered to the idle domain (xen), which in turn triggers a soft
interrupt on domain 0. In effect dom0 is immediately scheduled. Dom 0
then emulates the io while the hvm domain is sleeping. I assume the
same holds for other i/o events to domain zero, although I haven't
looked at that code. This is the kind of scheduling effect that would
be nice to have for a stub domain in relation to an hvm domian. But
the stub domain doesn't have any special status that schedules it to run
immediately.

--
Mike D. Day
IBM LTC