RE: [Xen-devel] running {MS/free}-DOS under XEN

Ehm, no I don't know of any FC compatible archive for the latest 3.1
version.

There is a 3.0.4 version available, built as an RPM for FC5, which
should be a noticable improvement on your 3.0.1 version:
http://www.xensource.com/download/index_3.0.4.html

> as you can see, i use Intel processors, which might be the
> problem as you mentioned...
> the thing is, i need DOS to run pharlab under it. i used qemu
> before. I run DOS successfully, but than when i was trying to
> run pharlab, it died with some other problem i cannot find
> even mentioned on internet, as pharlab is not usual software
> to use(it is kind of telecommunication switching centre
> running on proprietary HW up on DOS)

PharLap is a "DOS-Extender", which means that it does use tricks
involving real-to-potected mode excursions. I don't know if it assumes
that segment registers will remain in place after those excursions - if
that's the case, then you'd have problems using it on Intel at the
moment, I think.

There are several improvements in 3.1 that will make this "more likely
to work", but I wouldn't hold my breath. For a version after 3.1, there
will be a modified way of running real-mode on Intel processors, and
that will almost certainly achieve better compatibility with real
hardware.

--
Mats