Re: [Xen-devel] "kobject add failed"

  • To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 18:03:23 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 May 2007 10:02:09 -0700

On 3/5/07 17:45, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't seen it before. Any idea why this would happen now, and not
> before?

Because now you are doing two save/restores in a loop at the same time.

> Why would it happen only when doing two save/restore sessions (of
> different domains of course) on the same machine (which I have done
> before - but not that recently).

It looks like there might be a race in drivers/net/tun.c:tun_set_iff(). Two
invocations of ioctl(TUNSETIFF) can both resolve "tap%d" to "tap0" (because
both observe that tap0 is not registered). The second one to execute
register_netdevice() then bugs out because the interface already exists!

However, the invocation of tun_set_iff() is wrapped in rtnl_lock()/unlock()
so should be concurrency safe. Still, this is where I would concentrate my
search if I were you.

 -- Keir