RE: [Xen-devel] Odd CPU Scheduling Behavior

  • To: "Emmanuel Ackaouy" <ackaouy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:57:50 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:59:48 +0100

Emmanuel,

Yes - both vcpus are progressing, but the load gets pushed to one cpu. If I run
top in interactive mode in each vm while the test is running, and monitor cpu
usage (set delay to 1 and show separate cpu states), each of the vm's cpus are
getting equally loaded on average.

There are a few more oddities:

First, I see this behavior almost all the time when I run the test. However,
occasionally, I do not see this behavior at all, and the load stays spread out
on both cpus for the duration of the test (2 minutes).

Second, if I boot my ES7000/one to use only 4 CPUs (2 dual-core sockets), the
load always stays evenly distributed on both cpus.

brian carb
unisys corporation - malvern, pa