Re: [Xen-devel] Why is the credit scheduler better than SEDF

Hi,

> I read Xen interface manual, and see the following part in the section 2.5
>
> "SEDF will be going away and its use should be avoided once the credit
> scheduler has stabilized and become the default"
>
> I think it means SEDF is a temporary scheduler and credit scheduler is
> better
> I want to understand why the credit scheduling is better? And Is there any
> problem with SEDF?

I think SEDF had some bugs / some unfortunate behaviours on some workloads,
but I don't know the details offhand.  There may be some explanations in the
mailing list archives.

> and, so far as I know, EDF does not work well in the SMP how about SEDF and
> credit scheuler?

One of the nice advances of the credit scheduler is that it implements work
stealing so that an idle CPU will be able to take VCPUs off the scheduler
queues of other processors.  This helps make sure the hardware utilisation is
good and avoids the user having to do pinning and load balancing manually
from userspace (although it does support fairly flexible policy regarding
what PCPUs a VCPU can run on - this is also an advance on SEDF).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!