Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: [0/2] Remove netloop by lazy copying in netback

Sounds good. I'm not sure about putting this in for 3.0.5 since that's only
a couple of weeks away. Also I'm loathe to add yet another darned
grant-table operation if we can avoid it. In this case I have my doubts it's
required, if we're prepared to hook off a slow path in the page-fault
handler (unhandled kernel fault). If we could get a callback into netback in
that case for some range of kernel virtual addresses then we could fix up
lazily in the case that an access races replacement of foreign mapping with
local mapping. We would like this anyway so we can do zero-copy-to-the-wire
(this may additionally require us to rev our interface to copy the packet
headers in the rings, or we could see how far just a small grant-copy
operation gets us). The idea would be to point the skb at a bunch of empty
mappings in the netback mapping area: if the areas have to be filled in (due
to firewall rules, filtering, PIO, etc) then we do it on demand from the
page-fault handler.

 -- Keir