[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 00/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Xen guest implementation for paravirt_ops interface

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:26:55AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>
>> +#ifdef CONFIG_HIGHPTE
>> +    .kmap_atomic_pte = native_kmap_atomic_pte,
>> +#else
>> +    .kmap_atomic_pte = paravirt_nop,
>> +#endif
>>

> This is ifdefing is quite ugly.  Shouldn't native_kmap_atomic_pte
> just be a noop in the !CONFIG_HIGHPTE case?

Yes, but the trouble is that asm/highmem.h simply isn't included in the
!HIGHMEM case, so I can't put anything in there, and putting anything
pv_ops related into linux/highmem.h isn't appropriate either.

>> -void *kmap_atomic(struct page *page, enum km_type type)
>> +void *_kmap_atomic(struct page *page, enum km_type type, pgprot_t prot)
>>

> We normally call our "secial" function __foo, not _foo.  But in this
> case it really should have a more meaningfull name like
> kmap_atomic_prot anyway.

OK.

>> +void *kmap_atomic(struct page *page, enum km_type type)
>> +{
>> +    return _kmap_atomic(page, type, kmap_prot);
>>

> And this one should probably be an inline.

OK, if you think it makes a difference.

>> +static inline void *native_kmap_atomic_pte(struct page *page, enum km_type
>> type)
>> +{
>> +    return kmap_atomic(page, type);
>> +}
>> +
>> +#ifndef CONFIG_PARAVIRT
>> +#define kmap_atomic_pte(page, type) kmap_atomic(page, type)
>> +#endif
>>

> This is all getting rather ugly just for your pagetable hackery.

Well, I could promote kmap_atomic_pte to a first-class interface, but it
seems like overkill.