[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 04/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Add pagetable accessors to pack and unpack pagetable entries

* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Add a set of accessors to pack, unpack and modify page table entries
> (at all levels).  This allows a paravirt implementation to control the
> contents of pgd/pmd/pte entries.  For example, Xen uses this to
> convert the (pseudo-)physical address into a machine address when
> populating a pagetable entry, and converting back to pphys address
> when an entry is read.

looks good.

Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

only some minor style nits:

> +static inline unsigned long long native_pgd_val(pgd_t pgd)
> +{
> +     return pgd.pgd;
> +}
> +static inline unsigned long long native_pmd_val(pmd_t pmd)
> +{
> +     return pmd.pmd;
> +}
> +static inline unsigned long long native_pte_val(pte_t pte)
> +{
> +     return pte.pte_low | ((unsigned long long)pte.pte_high << 32);
> +}
> +static inline pgd_t native_make_pgd(unsigned long long val)
> +{
> +     return (pgd_t) { val };
> +}
> +static inline pmd_t native_make_pmd(unsigned long long val)
> +{
> +     return (pmd_t) { val };
> +}
> +static inline pte_t native_make_pte(unsigned long long val)
> +{
> +     return (pte_t) { .pte_low = val, .pte_high = (val >> 32) } ;
> +}

missing newlines between inline functions.

> +#ifndef CONFIG_PARAVIRT
> +#define pmd_val(x)   native_pmd_val(x)
> +#define __pmd(x)     native_make_pmd(x)
> +#endif       /* !CONFIG_PARAVIRT */

no need for the closing !CONFIG_PARAVIRT comment: this define is 2 lines
long so it's not that hard to find the start of the block. We typically
do the /* !CONFIG_XX */ comment only for larger blocks, and when
multiple #endif's intermix.

> +static inline unsigned long native_pgd_val(pgd_t pgd)
> +{
> +     return pgd.pgd;
> +}
> +static inline unsigned long native_pte_val(pte_t pte)
> +{
> +     return pte.pte_low;
> +}
> +static inline pgd_t native_make_pgd(unsigned long val)
> +{
> +     return (pgd_t) { val };
> +}
> +static inline pte_t native_make_pte(unsigned long val)
> +{
> +     return (pte_t) { .pte_low = val };
> +}

newlines.

>  #define HPAGE_SHIFT  22
>  #include <asm-generic/pgtable-nopmd.h>
> -#endif
> +#endif       /* CONFIG_X86_PAE */

(for example here the #endif comment is justified.)

        Ingo