[Xen-devel] Re: Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:59:24PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
Call for Presentation Proposals
-------------------------------

The Xen Summit, Spring '07 at IBM Watson Research, Yorktown will
include two full days of technical discussion and working meetings.
There will be opening and closing plenary sessions, and up to two
tracks of parallel sessions during the remainder of the meeting.  We
invite you to submit proposals for presentations and/or tutorials on
any of the topics below, or indeed any other topic of importance to
the Xen development community.  Note that this meeting is for
developers only, and is expected to address detailed technical issues.
Areas of interest include:

 Xen Project roadmap
 Xen Security roadmap
 Core hypervisor roadmap
 x86/ia64/ppc and other ports
 Integrating smart I/O hardware
 Benchmarking and performance optimization
 Testing
 Xen Control Stack roadmap
 Linux Paravirt_ops and upstreaming
 Solaris, *BSD and other OSes
 Improving emulated device support
 SCSI, Framebuffer and other driver support
 Research projects using Xen

Please send a paragraph proposing your topic and desired presentation
length (plan for 1/2 hour sessions) detailing the specific technical
area and contribution you will make.
As with previous summits, all the talks presented will be collected to
appear as PDFs on the summit web site.

How about requiring people to submit real papers on their chosen subject,
rather than just presentation slides ? The PDFs from papers presented
at OLS are orders of magnitude more useful than slides we've typically
accumulated from previous Xen summits. In particular for all those Xen
community members who can't actually go along to the summit itself, the
slides have very little content to learn from.

I realize the time constraints until this current summit don't allow much scope for long/formal writeups, but even just a few of pages of descriptive
text or technical details on the subject could be very beneficial as a
long term record of stuff covered at the summit.

It's often harder to write a short paper than a long one. April is a pretty short run way for writing a paper and a presentation. I do agree with your premise though, papers are very useful.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,
Dan.