[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN config options and disable unsupported config options.

On 02/16/2007 12:05 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Dan Hecht wrote:
On 02/15/2007 11:04 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
HZ - I'm assuming dynticks will appear in the short term, and this will
become moot
Doesn't Xen send any non-blocked domain a 100hz alarm implicitly,
without anyway for the guest to disable it?  I guess you'll have to
break kernel/hypervisor compatibility if you want dynticks?

The timer VIRQ will generate events at a fixed 100Hz (which can be
masked, like any other event), but you can also ask for a timer event at
a particular time.  We do this already for tickless idle.

Hmm? I thought the periodic timer and one-shot timer both generate the same VIRQ. So, how can you mask one without masking the other?

The tickless idle works since the block hypercall disables the periodic timer. But for dynticks (aka NO_HZ), you'll need to mask the periodic timer (even for a running vcpu), while keeping the one-shot timer unmasked. I don't think Xen provides an interface to do that.

Dan