RE: [Xen-devel] Performance analysis and Debugging of Guest Os ( windows OS)

  • To: "aditya shevalkar" <aditya27783@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:10:33 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:10:24 -0800

Performance analyzis is non-trivial. There are tools (oprofile) that can
be run on the host-OS (and that can be run on guest-OS too, but not
Windows), that help with this. But if you specifically say that you want
to run Windows as the Guest, you'd be a bit stuck I think. The
performance counter registers that are necessary to read the guest
performance are currently not task-switched when guest switches [nor is
there support to actually read them out in the guest, but that's a minor
task in comparison].

> Also how does the debugging is done from within the guest OS
> and from xen.

This should really be solved just like you'd do in the normal
"bare-metal" system - you can use any tool that would normally be used
on the guest-OS when it's running without virtualization. The hardware
debug registers (for example) are virtualized by the hypervisor, so you
should be able to use them. Breakpoints, such as INT3 are supported too.

> How does this information can be exchanged between guest OS
> and the Xen VMM(may be in a restricted way).

Not sure what you're asking for here... Can you rephraze the question,
please?

[snip]
--
Mats