RE: [Xen-devel] DomU crash during migration when suspendingsource domain

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:57:54 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:58:14 -0800

> Are you migrating between unlike boxes? My guess is that the original
> box
> has processors supporting cacheinfo cpuid leaves and the target box
> does
> not. Migrating to older less-capable CPUs is definitely hit-and-miss
> I'm
> afraid. It really is best not to do it!

I think this is indeed what is happening -- supporting this is kind of
important for HA/FT - you need to be able to keep the domains running
when upgrading/replacing hardware.

I guess I'm still a tad confused, but presumably the CPU_DEAD processing
is not completely uninitializing the cache info (it seems to me that if
it discarded the cache info and NULL's the pointer in the CPU_DEAD
processing then it should get recreated when the CPU_ONLINE is done -
presumably there is some path where this is not done when it should be.

I'll do some more digging and get back with a proposed fix.
Simon