Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] ia64, ppc: Remove uses of sprintf().

On 30/1/07 5:03 pm, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx> wrote:

>    What's the purpose of all this "cleanup"?  This is just munging files
> that we're leveraging from Linux, making updating them later on more
> difficult.  And these really should have been submitted via the
> xen-ia64-devel list.

The aim is to get rid of the 'dangerous' sprintf/strcat/strcpy functions.
Obviously not all uses are unsafe but if we don't define them then dangerous
uses can't creep in. There were already a few uses throughout Xen where
overflow might have silently become a possibility in future (although none
would be obviously exploitable). On the x86 side at least it turned out that
only a few Linux-derived lines of code had to be modified which seems an
acceptable price to pay.

If you still need those functions (do you still grab and munge a whole Linux
tree to make Xen on ia64?) then you can define them just for ia64/linux-xen
to provide a Linux-y environment, in which case it would make sense to
revert any removal patches applied in that subtree.

 -- Keir