Re: [Xen-devel] better console support

On 26/1/07 1:50 pm, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Why would anyone want to debug over a low-res unscrollable VGA console? If
>> you have a serial line connected then you can already debug via gdb, which
>> surely provides a nicer environment?
>
> This really depends on what you're used to. I have a really hard time using
> these scrolling interfaces (I constantly find myself re-typing commands or
> scrolling back to see the information I just had on the screen, but that
> scrolled off). This is also why, on the Linux side, I wanted what now is
> called nlkd (and I was long planning to move this over to Xen, too, but I'm
> simply not given time to do so).

That's pretty cool. Of course, you could build an old-school
all-in-one-screen debugging client talking to a gdbstub backend. Even if
incorporating into the kernel image itself, the debugger source code can
presumably be maintained separately quite easily (even in a separate
repository)? It ought to lend itself to acting as a very separate module
quite easily, since it effectively defines a separate execution mode for the
CPUs.

 -- Keir