Re: [Xen-devel] Tracking "Cannot allocate memory" error in shadow_alloc_p2m_table

Hi,

At 16:16 -0500 on 09 Jan (1168359405), Chris Lalancette wrote:
> What's happening is that the gfn_remainder passed into p2m_find_entry
> is something like 0x3a3815 which, when shifted by shift (which would
> happen to be 18 in the case of the 3rd-level page table in i686 PAE),
> it would end up being larger than the max (which is 8), and hence
> causing the failure.

Are you giving this domain more than 7GB of RAM on a PAE hypervisor?

> 1)  Am I missing something here?  Is there some sort of initialization of the
> machine_to_phys_mapping
> table that I missed?

The code you cut out is start-of-day code that builds the p2m map of a
domain from the m2p entries of its allocated pages.  It was needed
originally because the domain builder tools would set up the guest's
memory and m2p mapping and _then_ enable shadow-translate mode.  It may
not be necessary now that HVM domains are put in shadow mode at creation
time.

AFAICS, either the domain should have no memory assigned yet (in which
case it does nothing), or the domain's pages should have m2p entries
that are valid, explicitly invalid, or set to the "debug pattern" of all
5s.  I'll look at a more sensible failure mode then -ENOMEM, though.

Cheers,

Tim.