RE: [Xen-devel] Definition of eax and rax

Yes. It makes code work without rewriting it for 64-bit, but it makes it
slightly more confusing, I agree. But having all code that is 32- and
64-bit compatible written in two versions isn't a better option in my
mind.

> >Note also that the x86_64 specification says that a 32-bit write to a
> >64-bit register should zero-fill the upper 32 bits, which
> won't happen
> >if you have :
> >
> >     union { uint64_t rax; uint32_t eax } rAX;
> >     rAX.eax = 7;
> >
> >You'd end up with whatever was there from before in the upper bits of
> >rAX.rax...
> >

> Agree! And a little bit hate of the zero-fill.

Well, considering the other option (explicit zero-fill) isn't a good
idea either, as that would lead to much more code in the common cases
where a 32-bit integer is sufficient to calculate something. For
example:

long x;
unsigned int y;

x += y;

This type of addition isn't completely unusual, so adding extra code to
mask off the upper bits would make it slightly longer, right?

--
Mats