Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Schedule for Xen 3.0.4

  Hi,

>> What about the new domain builder, domU kexec and 32-on-64?
>
> I don't think domU kexec or 32-on-64 will make it.

domU kexec most likely probably needs some adjustments anyway after dom0
kexec merge ...

> Maybe some of the domain
> builder patches could: Emmanuel's been looking those so perhaps he has an
> opinion on it, but really I don't see us taking the wholesale rewrite for
> 3.0.4.

Well, *merging* the new domain builder shouldn't be a problem.  No "flag
day" switch required, it can happily live side-by-side with the old one.
 Then we can switch over users one-by-one to the new code as they get
ready, most likely not all of them for 3.0.4.

> After all, the primary benefit is when it's coupled with the 32-on-64
> patches which are very unlikely to be in 3.0.4.

Well, I've seen some ia64 guys want to play with bigendian domains, the
new domain builder (especially the rewritten ELF parser) can handle that
too ...

One of the reasons I want to have it merged soon (preferably before
3.0.4) is to make it easier to have the non-x86 (and other) people look
at it, so we maybe can have everyone using the new code by 3.0.5 and can
drop the old builder code at that point in time.

Merging it also makes it easier to test domU kexec as the userspace tool
 will be able to work with the 3.0.4 libraries.

cheers,
  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>