From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael
Paesold
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:15 PM
To: aball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ky Srinivasan; Xen Devel; Hiromichi Itou; Alan; Bruce J (HP-Labs)
Walker
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Is anyone working on HVM Paravirt drivers for
windows?

Andrew D. Ball wrote:
> That would be sad, but is possible.  Just like I don't believe Linux
> drivers should be allowed to be non-GPL, not allowing drivers for
> Windows to be GPL makes sense, unless the kernel is organized with
> much more isolation as more of a microkernel.
>
> Anyone's more informed thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Peace.
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 07:46 -0700, Ky Srinivasan wrote:
>> I may be wrong here; but I think windows drivers cannot be
open-sourced. I recall reading that in windows DDK documentation.

I don't believe the problem is with Windows drivers, but with the
Windows Driver Development Kit. The DDK has a license incompatible with
the GPL. I think writing a driver without the kit would still be
possible, although difficult because it would require much more
knowledge about the Windows kernel.

Remarks: no facts, but just what I read on mailing lists.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold