RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] Add support for barriers to blk{back, front} drivers.

  • To: "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 01:04:19 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:05:14 -0800

I'd like to hear from the Solaris and BSD folks whether the linux notion
of a barrier is stronger than used by those OSes (I know at least one OS
that treats barriers as being between requests rather than implicitly
both sides of a request as in Linux) and whether they feel that this
would actually make any practical performance difference).

It would also be good to know whether the other OSes could cope with
linux's odd way of determining whether barriers are supported (i.e. send
requests assuming they are and get failures if not).

Ian