[Xen-devel] Free pages in guest VM

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Arun Babu" <arunbabu.n@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:26:26 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:26:40 -0800

Hi
While performing migration of a guest virtual machine from a physical node to another,
it would be nice if we can figure out the free pages in the guest VM and opt not to transfer them.
(Currently I have a guest VM of size 1GB and less than 300MB is occupied)
1.I came across in the paper Xen and the Art of Virtualization, that guest VM can be made
 to balloon out the free pages.
2.What is the way to figure out free pages in guest VM?
3.Can this be implemented in the tools (xend) code as a part of the migration framework?
(I was able to note some code where ballooning is happeing.. ie while memory is being allocated to VM
from hypervisor but i was not able to locate a code where VM releases memory to hypervisor. Where
can I find it?)

Can you please give me some pointers on this?

Thank you
Arun
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~abnagara