Re: [Xen-devel] Linux-specific blkif.py change

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:21:17PM +0000, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> > 1) util/blkif.py logs to xend-debug.log if the stat() fails. This is
> > needlessly chatty, and indicates there's some kind of error, when there
> > is not.
> >
> > 2) util/blkif.py has a load of Linux gook for getting the device
> > numbers. Luckily Solaris has a completely different naming scheme, but
> > wouldn't this go horribly wrong if a domU just happened to use the same
> > name, different device number?
> >
> > It's not clear to us why Linux even needs to do this?
>
> I think that the correct fix would be for the tools to pass the untranslated
> device name into the guest, rather than translating it to a device number

Sounds sensible to me.

> that it's not an old Linux guest.  The change was intended to improve the
> error message that you receive in this case, so at the least, the failure
> ought to be logged (unless you can come up with some way to detect old Linux
> guests, and only complain in that case).

Is there some other way to indicate the failure later? We'd like
xend-debug.log to be essentially silent during normal operation for a
non-debug xend...

> Would you like to put together a patch along these lines?

I can do a patch for xend, but I'm not familiar enough to update the
Linux side of things.

I see that the 'is none' hack has been committed along with removing the
message in blkif.py, so that solves the immediate issue for us.

thanks,
john