RE: [Xen-devel] intel g965 + wine questions

  • To: "spooq" <spoooq@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:21:03 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 04:21:32 -0700

> I'm about to put a 4-core Linux system together, and I would like to
> be able to use Xen to run a very limited dom0 and a few
> general-purpose domU's. It would be great if I could run the graphics
> driver directly in one of the domU's rather than using the slower
> emulated driver. I understand it would require modification of the
> driver source, and fortunately Intel has seen fit to provide it.
>
> Has anyone considered doing this yet? Does anyone have any advice on
> what mechanisms to use? Is there any general framework being created
> for this sort of thing or would it be quicker to make a specific hack?
> What would be the best way to solve the domU to physical lookup
> problem? I imagine it may be possible to put a special mark in the
> memory manager of dom0 that could guarantee physical regions are where
> domU expects.

Graphics drivers that work under dom0 actually have a pretty good chance
of also working in a suitably privileged domU, without source
modifications. Some work, some don't. Those that try to make BIOS calls
seem to be most problematic, though I guess even they could be fixed. I
think more success has been had using kernel drivers than driving the
card from X.

Give it a go, trying the various tricks that have been suggested on the
list beforehand, and then please report back. At some point it would be
nice to have concerted effort to make it work for a wider range of
graphics cards.

Thanks,
Ian