Re: [Xen-devel] Dual opteron PIT timing problem?

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 23:47 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Most people, I should think. Many BIOSes do not advertise the presence of an
> HPET, even if the chipset has one.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on with your system. We had time problems in the
> past but they are all believed fixed now. If things are behaving as weirdly
> as you say, perhaps we can add some tracing for you to work out what's going
> wrong and get this fixed for 3.0.4.
>
>  -- Keir

They are, and I'm apparently not alone as the last two entries in bug
number 195 are seeing the same problems, and the last entry is even the
exact same machine type (HP xw9300), posted in September.

I would gladly try some instrumentation if you have any I can turn on. I
will also try the xen-unstable tree instead of xen-3.0.3-testing.

I have a gut feeling that there's something about the way the timer is
wired on this motherboard, as there seem to be workarounds in Linux
kernels for nvidia chipset systems and timers.  But I have no actual
facts to back that up.

john.c

--
John Clemens           Revive Systems, www.revivesystems.com