Re: [Xen-devel] Anybody debugging PAE guest kernels?

You want to talk to Kip Macy; I've done a little bit with freebsd7 domus, (essentially, I have hacked makefiles to make Kip Macy's stuff compile with -current of a few weeks ago instead of -current of a few months ago) but I am lacking in both skill and time, so I probably can not help you much.

I don't know of anyone working with FreeBSD on Xen PAE, though.

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Randy Thelen wrote:

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:53:39 -0700
From: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Anybody debugging PAE guest kernels?

Folks --

I'm porting FreeBSD to support PAE on xen-unstable. (Is anybody else doing this?) The kernel image I have properly communicates to Xend that the kernel is PAE aware and supports [extended-cr3] semantics (which I now fully understand; thanks Keir!).

My kernel gets loaded into guest memory and I attach gdbserver-xen to it. So far so good. I can view registers, I can step, I can look at global and local registers. All is good.

But, if I attempt to modify memory, e.g., setting a break point, XEN coughs up an error:

(XEN) DOM0: (file=mm.c, line=1750) Bad type (saw 2e000001 != exp e0000000) for mfn fa693 (pfn 572) (XEN) DOM0: (file=mm.c, line=618) Error getting mfn fa693 (pfn 572) from L1 entry 00000000fa693027 for dom7

Is anybody doing this?  Or, am I out here alone ... again?

Xen version 3.0-unstable (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) Mon Aug 28 17:24:36 PDT 2006
Latest ChangeSet: Thu Aug 24 01:49:41 2006 +0100 11249:1ff4cc298bec

(I'm going to update my hg repository, but I still have the question about anybody else using gdbserver w/ PAE guests.)

-- Randy