Re: [Xen-devel] NUMA support on Xen ?

* Deepti Chheda <dchheda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-10-04 03:19]:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Masters student from Carnegie Mellon University. I am looking
> for a research topics for an Advanced OS & DS course we have.
>
> I wanted to know what is the current support for NUMA on Xen ?

Xen doesn't have any NUMA support currently.  I've posted [1]patches to add
NUMA support into Xen.  This support covers systems that provide ACPI
SRAT tables describing the topology of the processors and memory of the
system.  It works for 32-bit and 64-bit system.  The patches give Xen an
NUMA-aware page allocator, update memory hypercalls to allocate
node-local memory when creating VMs, and exports NUMA topology to
user-space via the management tools.

> Does it support the IBM x440 and AMD64 Opteron ?

I've not tested on an x440, but the patches have been tested on an x445,
x460, AMD opteron, Unisys ES7000, and IA64.  I believe that the patches
would work fine on an x440.

> Also, does the Xen scheduler do NUMA aware scheduling so it does not
> degrade the VM performace ?

The current patchset does not address scheduling.

1. http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-09/msg00958.html

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx