Re: [Xen-devel] Individual passwords for guest VNC servers ?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:54:24PM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > Passing around passwords either on the command line, or environment is
> > big red flag from a security POV. Also the Xen guest & xend config
> files
> > all default to world readable. I think we should follow the Apache
> model
> > and store the passwords out-of-band from the main config. eg
> >
> >    (vncpasswordfile '/etc/xen/vncpassword')
> >
> > At this point it would make sense to have one password file for all
> guests,
> > and store them in format:  'vm-name:  pw-hash'
>
> The new life cycle management stuff in post 3.0.3 xend changes this
> quite a bit as a config file is only used when initially creating a VM,
> and then information about it gets stored in xend's database. The
> current password associated with a VM would be one of the parameters
> stored in the database, and should be updated using 'xm vnc-password' or
> shuch like.

As long as XenD makes sure its DB is not world readable, this sounds
reasonable.

> > As Ian just suggested we could have command 'xm password'  for
> updating
> > these passwords (cf apache's  htpasswd command)
> >
> > Now when launching qemu-dm, we can either pass the path to the
> password
> > file on its command line,   eg  -passwordfile /etc/xen/password, or
> > passs the actual password to qemu-dm down a pipe (eg qemu-dm would
> read
> > the password from filehandle 3 upon startup). The latter would be my
> > preference, since then we could isolate the password handling stuff in
> > Xend, and not duplicate it in qemu-dm, and the paravirt  equivalent.
>
> I wouldn't rely on qemu-dm staying in dom0. I think the information
> should be passed transiently via xenstore.

Yeah, that's probably best solution particularly since qemu-dm is
already reading/writing to the xenstore it should be little work
to also fetch the password from there.

Dan,