[Xen-devel] Re: [MINIOS] Add stuff for generating assembler symbols in Makefile

  • To: Grzegorz Milos <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:18:56 +0200
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:19:23 -0700

Am Freitag, 22. September 2006 15:47 schrieben Sie:
> What is it exactly you need these symbols for (I don't know much
> about genassym myself)? It strikes me that this is all specific to
> ia64 at the moment, and therefore should be handled by Makefile in
> arch/ia64. The resulting header file should also be put somewhere
> there as well.
>
> Of course if you convince me generation of symbols is possible/useful
> for x86 then we can make it global to all archs.
>
> Cheers
> Gregor
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > for the ia64 port of the mini-os I need to generate some symbols from
> > C-headers for the assembler code.
> > I have attached a patch of extras/mini-os/Makefile to handle this (see
> > GEN_ASSYM_... parts).
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dietmar.
> > <mini-os_genassym.patch>

Hi Gregor,

what I want to do is generating some #defines ... from items within structures
in C-headers for use in assembler code (for example the trap frame).
Linux does this with offset.h or asm-offset.h
Maybe symbol was misleading, sorry.
I thought of a Makefile in arch/ia64 but this would change the current
makefile structure.

Another problem for me with the current Makefile structure is that all *.c and
*.S in the specified subdirectories are build in one make run. For the
 iterative development process for ia64 it's not possible to build all
existing stuff from x86 too. My question is, should I move the files with
currently not supported code to the x86 directories and add dummy header
files in the ia64 specific directory or should I use
#ifndef __ia64__ ... around the code?
What do you mean.?
Thanks.

Dietmar