RE: [Xen-devel] Re: How HVM domain distingush ioemu disk and VBD disk

  • To: "Anthony Liguori" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:05:57 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:07:26 -0700

Anthony Liguori wrote:

> I assume that VBD means the paravirtual driver.  If so, we really
> shouldn't even give the option of exposing as hdX or sdX but rather
> only expose as xvdX (or whatever our assigned prefix it).
>
> Might as well make it a policy for HVM before people start using
> something else.  Upstream will never allow us to hijack other
> major/minor numbers so we should stop doing it as soon as possible.
>
> Of course, using our assigned names also solves your problem so it
> makes everyone happy :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Thanks for the info. Yes. xvdX works. I tried the following config.
disk = [ 'file:/var/images/min-el3-i386.img,hda,w',
'file:/var/images/data.img,xvda,w' ]
and I can mount /dev/xvda in HVM domain using PV driver.

One remaining issue is that: PV driver still complains "register_blkdev: cannot
get major 3 for ide", since it will try to connect /dev/hda. This error message
is confusing to user, althouhg it actually do no harm.

Best Regards
Ke