[Xen-devel] cpu utilization monitoring

  • To: Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Karl Rister <kmr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:44:23 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:44:50 -0700

Currently in the vcpu_runstate_info structure we have fields that contain the
time spent when the vcpu is in one of four states.  When trying to determine
the physical utilization that a vcpu is requiring of the system from libxc we
make a domctl operation call to the XEN_DOMCTL_getvcpuinfo command.  When
processing this command we pull the value for the RUNSTATE_running field and
attribute it to the processor that the vcpu is currently running on.

I believe that with the new credit scheduler these values are wrong as it is
possible that the vcpu has time in RUNSTATE_running that was not actually
spent on the currently running processor.  Is there a separate path through
the libraries and into Xen that retrieves this information in a more correct
manner?  Given that a vcpu can migrate among several physical processors in
the time between samples it seems that a finer grained accounting mechanism
is needed to correctly report physical utilization of the hardware resources.

--
Karl Rister
IBM Linux Performance Team