RE: [Xen-devel] 3.0.3 freeze

  • To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:22:18 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:22:44 -0700

> But xen-unstable.hg is receiving major changes that we really
> were not expecting for a tree that is in freeze state. For
> example, the following changeset that went into xen-unstable
> at the weekend will likely break compatabilty for libvirt in
> quite a major way
>
>   http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?cs=86d26e6ec89b
>
>   "Replace dom0_ops hypercall with three new hypercalls:
>     1. platform_op -- used by dom0 kernel to perform actions on the
>        hardware platform (e.g., MTRR access, microcode
> update, platform
>        quirks, ...)
>     2. domctl -- used by management tools to control a
> specified domain
>     3. sysctl -- used by management tools for system-wide actions"

I didn't think we were going to get this patch in time for 3.0.3, but
when it arrived we decided it was low risk (it's mostly just a code
refactoring) and dropped it in. It then got stuck in the staging tree
for a couple of days behind some SMP HVM-related malaise.

The big advantage this patch gives us is that it should now be possible
to maintain the dom0 to hypervisor ABI in a backward compatible fashion
--- we've previously only ever guaranteed this for domU's. The
hypervisor and control stack will still need to be a matched set for the
time being, but using a any 3.0.3 compliant kernel as a dom0 should now
work on a 3.0.4 hypervisor etc.

Ian