[Xen-devel] [RFC] support console resolutions better than 80x25

While a poor man's version of this had been posted a long time ago, I'd like to
re-raise
the issue: On machines either not having a serial port or being too far away
from a
second machine, debugging must solely rely on the VGA console. On 25 lines one
can't,
however, display a lot of things - frequently, a simple register and stack dump
doesn't
even fit. Therefore I have been running with code supporting up to 80x60 for
more
than the last half year, and prior to that I had been using aforementioned poor
man's
version supporting 80x30.
Clearly, the most important thing here besides initializing the actual mode is
to establish
a channel by which the hypervisor can communicate the screen geometry to the
guest.
Other than in the originally posted version, this is now done without modifying
the
startup info structure layout; instead, the two (meaningless for dom0)
console_* fields
are now being (mis-)used for communication size and location of a new
console_info
structure. That structure contains all the video related information Linux
would normally
obtain from the BIOS, including the potential of using a VESA (graphics) based
console
(which would be the next logical step I'm planning to take at some point).
If there is a reasonable chance for such code to get merged, I'll put together
a patch
and post it here for review.

Jan